Saturday, 30 August 2014

Bosses Restaurant - Who's the Boss?

"What kind of name is that?" was the thought that ran through my mind when I first stepped into Bosses Restaurant. Apparently the name stands for Secret Society in chinese, a reference to the triads. It also meant that their service towards a customer would be no different than how they would treat a boss.

The entire place was decorated in shades of mostly black interspersed with white, which was highly unusual because Chinese restaurants tend to avoid dark colors.




Notice almost everything comes in black? I was quite relieved that the plate was white as it allowed me to see my food more clearly.




The Stir-Fried Noodles were chock-full of yumminess but there was nothing that distinguished them from similar plates of noodles at other places.




For all its hype, the Shanghai Steam Meat Dumpling in Lobster Bisque ($14+) failed to live up to expectations. I felt let down both by its minuscule portion and ordinary taste. The xiao long bao was soggy  from sitting in the soup and tasted boring. Only the lobster bisque was passable. I wouldn't try this again.




Dessert was much better. The Mango Cream with Sago ($7+) and Ace Durian Mochi ($8+) perked me right up! The creamy and fruity puree hit the right notes, while the mochi's skin was delightfully chewy and the cold durian filling tasted supreme.

In short, Bosses Restaurant left a deep impression on me: pity it was more about the splendid furnishing than the great food. Their signature dish is the Custard Lava Bun, a.k.a salted egg yolk bun - maybe I'll come back again just for that. And their desserts, of course. 


Halal Certified: No 

1 Harbourfront Walk
#02-156/157
Singapore 098585



Overall Rating: misc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarklow,ratinglow,rating

No comments:

Post a Comment