Ambush prides itself on its European-dining concept and this is reflected in its menu and ambiance. Unlike most other restaurants, the menu resembles a newsletter broadcasting the latest delicacies being offered. Fancy something Italian? Pastas such as "Vongole & Norwegian Shrimps - White Wine Sauce" ($12.80) are among some of the tempting choices. Or perhaps you are craving food from Germany (Roasted Pork Knuckle, $28) or Spain (Zamorana Paella, $13.50). No matter what, one is sure to find a bit of everything from Europe here.
After looking through the menu three times, I settled on the squid ink pasta (known as "Baby Scallop & Flying Fish Roe - Squid Ink Sauce", $14.80) and chose spaghetti as the 'base'. I had eaten squid ink spaghetti before at Yomenya Goemon and was expecting this dish to taste similar.
I was wrong. It completely blew me away!
This is one of the best examples of how looks can be deceiving. The spaghetti was completely coated in squid ink sauce and fresh, plump scallops peeked out shyly through gaps in the noodles. A generous helping of fish roe topped the pasta.
When I took the first bite, I could taste the olive oil and garlic that had been used to cook the dish. The baby scallops were seasoned well, pairing beautifully with the warm noodles and crunchy fish roe that burst in my mouth to give that distinctive salty taste. This has officially become my favorite place for squid ink pasta!
For dessert, there was the wonderful Chocolate Soufflé ($8.80), a delicious mold of chocolate cake decorated with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup.
At the centre lay warm, molten chocolate that oozed out when I cut into the cake with my spoon. The light, chewy texture of the cake, coupled with the coldness of the ice cream and sticky sweetness of the chocolate, pleasured my senses to no end.
Sadly, the drink was a tad boring after what I experienced - it was just like normal soda mixed with orange and lime.
For my next visit, I'm eyeing the Belgium Clams Pot.



No comments:
Post a Comment