Sunday, 30 November 2014

On the Table - Bringing Something New to the Table

"Wah, so romantic!"

This was my first exclamation upon stepping into On the Table. Which probably sounded strange because my cafe-hopping partner was my cousin. 




A place dimly lit by chandeliers with candle-shaped bulb lights, its spacious interior allowed much maneuvering room. By defying the norm of cafes barely having enough breathing space, it has wisely set itself apart from the competition. A minor drawback is that voices tend to carry across and we had to speak up to be heard.

As On the Table is set up by the same people who brought us the famously popular Lola's Cafe, I was looking forward to a spectacular meal. 



My cousin, having visited it before, recommended the Crispy Honey Wings ($9.00). They were irresistible! Glazed generously with sweet honey, the chicken meat was soft and tender - almost to the point of melting in your mouth - and the flavor was played up with the addition of pepper and other spices. True to its name, the skin crackled when bitten into, yet it was not greasy at all. 


We took the Eggs Atlantic ($15.00), a big plateful of poached eggs, smoked salmon and toast. They also offer Eggs Benedict ($13.00) if you want to lose the salmon. Now, I'm wary of poached eggs because the taste can come on too strongly after a while. But I'm happy to say that these are easily the best I've ever had! 


The eggs seemed to have been flavored with sour cream and a little cheese. Slicing through them revealed their innards - a precious mix of gooey yolks and slightly firmer whites. It was devilishly addictive when eaten with the salty smoked salmon and fluffy toast, and I relished every single bit. The rocket dill salad also surprised me with its decent portion, considering how most places I've been to are stingy with their side salads.


My favourite Matcha Latte ($5.00) is available here! The bittersweet green tea aftertaste manages to shine through without being overpowering. 

The crew were quick on the draw - food was delivered in less than 7 minutes after we placed our orders. Pretty satisfied with the service! Something quite funny happened too; upon leaving the cafe, I realized I had not taken any shots of the counter, so I re-entered to do so. The staff, who had apparently forgotten my face, approached me and asked, "Table for how many?" Though I giggled at that, I like how quickly they attended to their customers.


Note that they don't charge GST or service charge. For cafe-lovers in the west, On the Table is a reasonably priced option that meets the requirement for good food.


Halal Certified: No

118 Pasir Panjang Road
Singapore 118541

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/onthetablesg


Overall Rating: misc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarklow,rating

No comments:

Post a Comment