Sunday, 9 November 2014

Ambush [Part II] - Winning You Over

Ambush has recently seen some changes - for starters, its menu no longer follows a newsletter style, shifting to the boring format of several pieces of paper stapled together. New items were added and the prices of other dishes have also seen a significant jump. However, the quality of its food remains impeccable. 

Stuck to my word and ordered the Belgium Mixed Pot of Mussels and Clams ($18+), which comes with a choice of fries or bread. 




At first glance, I thought it wouldn't be filling, but I was quite stuffed at the end. Either I was deceived by its coy portions or I have a super small stomach capacity. I like to think it's the former.

The meat was plentiful, chewy and slightly salty, its flavor enhanced by the white wine sauce which brimmed with garlic, pepper and bacon bits. I quite enjoyed dunking the fries in the sauce and snapping them up. 




The Fall Harvest Salad ($11.80) offered honeyed walnuts, sweet apple slices and cranberries in teasing nibbles, which unfortunately did nothing to distract from its mini helping. Made all the more obvious in comparison to our other dishes.




For the Sausage Plate ($14.50), you can choose one type of sausage - they'll give you two of it - and one type of starch (fries, potato puree, rosti and one more which I did not catch). We took the Bockwurst sausage that was deliciously thick and had springy skin encased around succulent meat. 




Two fillets of Pan-Seared Salmon with Fresh Lentils ($18.50) came swimming in a creamy, potato-filled broth. The fish was flimsy in the mouth, breaking into pieces easily, but was fresh enough. 




I was excited to see they had added a new dessert, Bailey's Creme Brulée ($8.80) and promptly ordered it, although I realized I'd missed reading the first word after the first spoonful. The pudding was heavily laced with alcohol, a bitter aftertaste lurking under the caramelized top layer. As the ice cream was not overly sweet, the different flavors were evened out.

Not pictured here, but was in my first Ambush post, the Squid Ink Pasta  with Baby Scallops and Flying Fish Roe (price increased to $16.20) tasted divine as usual. Am I glad they didn't tweak the dish in any way!

*I re-visited on 09 November 2014.


Halal Certified: No

Jem
#04-13/14
50 Jurong Gateway Road


Overall Rating (no change): misc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarklow,rating

No comments:

Post a Comment