Sunday, 21 December 2014

Miam Miam - Yum Yum~

Miam Miam...such an unusual name for an unusual restaurant comprising a fusion of Japanese and French. To be more exact, it sees Japanese cuisine prepared via French cooking techniques. I often pass by this place when hanging out at Westgate, but never thought of trying it despite the long queues. I only came at my friend's recommendation.


The place is furnished with good cheer and I like the look of the curiously-shaped lights. We were seated at the back of the restaurant away from the counter, yet every now and then sizzling sounds drifted over as food was cooked and orders tended to.



It was hard to choose from such a marvelous selection of drinks. After much pondering, I was about to order the matcha white chocolate when I saw the Miam Miam Haze a.k.a London Fog ($6.80). 

This pretty cup of earl grey tea with steamed milk and homemade vanilla syrup warmed my heart. Perfumed with lavender, the foam on the tea was as fluffy as clouds, and each sip was a joy. 



Brewed from 100% Arabica beans, the hand-dripped Hot Coffee ($5.20) rushed head-on in its glorious acidity; the syrup and milk did little to alleviate its bitterness. Coffee lovers will surely enjoy.



With sliced strawberries, juicy blueberries and finely crushed mint leaves, Berries Soda ($7.80) carried the promise of summer. Its initial sweetness wrapped around the tarty after-flavor like a cloak, and the taste buds rejoiced.



When I first laid eyes upon the Lobster Bisque Pasta ($20.80), I thought it seemed a tad dry. While the noodles tasted like they weren't boiled fully, the sauce did an excellent job of mimicking the actual soup, with a little more cheesiness. The tiger prawn was gigantic, chewy and a bit overcooked. 

I realized that the longer the noodles were left to stand, the more sauce they absorbed, and the softer and more delectable they became as time passed. Toss in cubed tomatoes and the added sweetness made the dish even better.



I have never seen any other place serve Souffle Au Curry ($17.80). The puffy top got its texture from egg that was beaten till fluffy; a foam-like substance coagulated below like a second skin. Digging deeper revealed the treasure - sticky rice invaded by the unmistakable scent of curry and mixed with sausage slices and plump broccoli. The sausage carried a smokey BBQ flavor reminiscent of meat being grilled over a charcoal fire.



If I'm at a Japanese restaurant and souffles are available, I always go for the souffle. I was sorely tempted to get the matcha flavor, but opted for the Vanilla Souffle ($9.80) in the end, on account of my dining companions. 

The souffle surface wobbles delightfully, the movement reminding me of a belly dancer's midriff. It tasted like a softer version of egg custard sweetened with icing sugar. 


Exactly as the menu informed, we waited about 15 minutes for the Famous French Toast ($10.80), the dessert I've heard much about. Add-on toppings such as vanilla sauce, chocolate sauce or raspberry coulis ($2.00 for any) can be selected. 

Dabbed with the faint presence of liquor, the pieces of toast were light and crispy, and tasted wonderful when consumed together with dainty forkfuls of Chantilly. 

Miam Miam is the place to consider when you want Japanese food with a twist at reasonable prices. 


Halal Certified: No

#01-21/22 Westgate
3 Gateway Drive
Singapore 608532

Website: http://miam.sg/


Overall Rating: misc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmisc,rate,rating,star,yellow,favourite,bookmarkmedium,ratinglow,rating

No comments:

Post a Comment